Archive for June, 2014

Handmade Wardrobe – Scalloped Hem Shorts

Another make off my list, although not entirely successful 🙁 When I first saw the Scalloped Hem shorts from Pattern Runway I just knew I had to make them. The shape was exactly the sort of thing I would wear a lot, not too short, functional but still feminine. Only problem being I hadn’t made shorts before and was really nervous about fitting.

Well I plucked up the courage and gave them a go. I double checked my measurements and opted for a size M. I chose some lovely soft fabric I found in Goldhawk road. It was in the denim section (I can’t remember which shop now?) but it’s so fine and has a lovely drape, unfortunately it does not photograph well.

Making these shorts was quite a challenge for me but I did learn a lot. The welt pockets gave me serious brain ache, I didn’t find the pattern the easiest to follow and the recommended tutorial used a slightly different technique to the pattern so just made it more confusing. After a lot of perseverance (and swearing!!) I figured it out.

IMG_5801v2

IMG_5809v2

IMG_5807v2

I really tried my best and worked so hard, in the end I was really happy with how they turned out. The pink stitching detail I added finished them perfectly, only one problem, they don’t fit!!

IMG_5822v2

IMG_5821v2

IMG_5824v2

After all my blood, sweat and tears they don’t bloody fit! They’re just slightly too tight across the hips 🙁 I found them such a challenge to make I just can’t bring myself to take them apart and adjust them. I think it’s just going to be easier to adjust my body by half an inch instead, so paleo and exercise here I come! If only I had chosen fabric with just a little bit of stretch then I would have been fine.

IMG_5820v2

IMG_5819v2

Even though I didn’t exactly enjoy the pattern itself I am going to make another pair, maybe minus the welt pockets. I do really love the finished shorts and it would be great to have a pair I can actually wear this summer. The next ones I make I’ll do in a size M again but just use a smaller seam allowance, problem solved…………hopefully.